Monday, November 03, 2008

Too much bullsh** about Spirited Away

I recently watched the great movie "Spirited Away" from Hayao Miyazaki, and I like it a lot.
Splendid graphics and very nice story, even if a bit strange.

I feel like I'm from Mars and I'm watching a cartoon with a mix of elements from classic folktales, with funny characters that I cannot really relate to anything...
So I tried to find some discussion of the cultural images present in the movie, as I suppose that many characters (like the ones with huge heads or the different kinds of spirits ect.) are somehow related to traditional Japanese characters and iconography.

The result was a nightmare: why do so many people have to write their stupid crappy pseudo-political interpretations of Spirited Away?
Why is it virtually impossible to find a simple, clear description of the classic elements in this animation movie?
Some talks of capitalism and even of prostitution themes in the movie... come on!

Anyway after digging a bit more in the web, I found these interesting discussions:
- "Spirited Away": Sen-Chihiro and Japanese Culture
- read the characters section of this one
- check out the Possible themes section in this one

Still no help in understanding the cultural icons in the movie, but at least some more reasonable explanations about its contents.
Then I looked for interviews to the author, Miyazaki, to see what he had to say about the movie:
- interview
- and more details about the movie itself.

I'm still looking to find a good explanations of the references in Spirited Away... any suggestions where to look? ;)

These 2 pages are the best so far:
- http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4692546/Spirited-Away-film-of-the.html
- http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/2003/08/sen_to_chihiro_no_kamikakushi.php

No comments:

Post a Comment